Sunday, January 29, 2012

Review: Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter


OVERALL RATING:
8/10

PROS: Great color selection, smooth application, feels good on lips, nourishes lips, very long-lasting

CONS: Packaging feels very cheap, many layers are required for full-impact color


After recently being required to purchase a rather expensive stage makeup kit for an upcoming show, I was sure that I would have all of the makeup I would need for my future performances in Real Women Have Curves.  However, as much as I love Ben Nye stage makeup, I quickly discovered a major flaw in this particular kit--the only included lip color was a muted neutral; which, for a play set in the 80's, was just simply not going to do. With our second dress rehearsal approaching quickly, I found myself in dire need of a great, bright red lip color that would last easily through an entire performance.

Naturally, I trucked over to the campus area CVS and started browsing.  The display for the Revlon Lip Butters caught my eye immediately.  It was bright and inviting, with plenty of pretty little tubes in a wide array of colors.  Recently in the beauty blogging world, the Revlon Lip Butters have been generating a lot of buzz, so I figured that I'd pick up the brightest red I could find in the collection and pray that it would live up to the hype.

Not only will the Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple work beautifully for stage makeup, but I have a feeling I'll be wearing it offstage as well.

I have to start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of the packaging of this product.  The design is nice;  the cap of the tube has a pretty quilted pattern, and the tube itself looks very sleek and elegant.  However, the whole thing feels very cheap and plastic-y.  I'm a little worried about the durability of the packaging, since it feels that the whole thing could very easily be crushed or cracked.

Revlon definitely makes up for the lack of packaging quality when it comes to the quality of the product itself.  Applying the Lip Butter feels just like putting on my favorite lip balm, and it definitely has the same smooth and soft feel on my lips.

The color itself is beautiful on, but I did have to apply several layers to get a high-impact color payoff.  In my opinion, this isn't that much of a problem, because it means that the color is buildable and you can adjust the saturation/intensity to fit your needs.  For example, when I'm wearing this color on stage, I'll be able to layer it enough that it reads as a nice, bright red from a distance, and when I wear it for every-day purposes, I can create a softer, prettier look by applying less.

I wore the Lip Butter today, and it stayed put and kept its color intensity for a full six hours with no problems.  When I ate, however, the color definitely started to come off.  This just means that you'll have to reapply the color after eating or drinking, but this is the same as most other lip colors, so I'm not counting it as a negative aspect of the product.

After the Lip Butter wore off (and a little bit was taken off with makeup remover), my lips definitely felt softer than they did before I had applied the product.  The Lip Butter certainly nourishes the lips like it claims to!

As someone who doesn't enjoy lipstick at all, I find this to be a great alternative.  It feels much more like a lip balm than a lipstick, while still providing beautiful color.  I'm glad I picked this up... both my character and I will be using it frequently!

Have you tried any of the Revlon Lip Butters?  Which shades are your favorite?  Let me know in the comments!

9 comments:

  1. I own the Candy Apple, but I wasn't a huge fan of the color. I am in love with the Peach Parfait though! I wear it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the candy apple works for me because it has more blue undertones, which goes with my cool skin tone... Since peach works for you, its sounds like you might be warmer! Either way, it's a great product. :)

      Delete
  2. I have not but I will check it out, im excited to get it if its really more of a lip balm than Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! I just wore it every night for two weeks since it was part of my makeup for my play, and my lips are noticeably softer. It's really great!

      Delete
  3. I got lots of information by your post. Everything define in this post very beautiful way. You should continue do this type of post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your positive feedback! I really appreciate it. I will definitely do more posts like this in the future!

      Delete
  4. I've been thinking about getting some lipstick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great lipstick to get! I'm not a lipstick fan, and I love this!

      Delete
  5. I like this post. Everything designs in nice way I got much information by this post. You should continue do this type of post.

    ReplyDelete