Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush

OVERALL RATING:  9/10

PROS:  Fun texture, melts into skin, easy to apply, beautiful color selection, stays on all day, sheer color, buildable, dermatologist and allergy tested

CONS:  May be difficult to get used to at first for those used to powder blush, a lot is needed for a more dramatic look


I have to say, Maybelline is on a roll lately with their new products!  They're introducing a lot of really great, quality stuff, and the Dream Bouncy Blush is another example of this.

I've never really been a big blush wearer myself, although I knew that it would probably be a good idea to use a bit.  If I felt like adding a little natural flush or playing up my cheekbones, I'd just swipe on a tiny bit of powder blush and go.  When I first heard about the Dream Bouncy Blush, though, it definitely caught my attention.  There's something about the word "bouncy" that suggests a fun, youthful product, and it made me curious (good job, Maybelline marketing department).  How could a blush, or any makeup product for that matter, be "bouncy?"  Curiosity got the best of me, and on a shopping trip to my local CVS, I decided to pick some up.  I'm glad I did... I'm loving it!

My Dream Bouncy Blush in #40, Pink Plum
I chose to get the blush in #40 Pink Plum, shown on the right.  With my extremely fair, cool skin tone, I need to be careful to get blushes that are more pink hued, instead of peach.  Pink Plum has proven to be an excellent match for my skin.  Fair skinned ladies, don't be afraid of how bright it looks in the pan!  It's a nice, light pink that goes on very sheer, so it gives me a pretty, natural flush that makes me look more energized and alive.

The first thing that I noticed about this blush is the texture.  You apply this blush with your fingertips, so when I went to pick some up for the first time, it caught me a little off guard.  I actually started giggling... They weren't kidding when they decided to call this blush "bouncy!"  It has sort of a jelly, sponge-like texture, but picks up just like a cream.  I spent a few minutes swirling my finger around it, just because it's so fun to feel!

To use this blush, you pick up some of it with your finger (by rubbing or swirling your fingertip on the blush), then use your fingertip to pat and blend the color onto your cheeks.  I find that if I apply it to the apples of my cheeks first and blend outwards and upwards towards my temples, it gives the best effect.  Because you use your fingertips to apply the blush, you are entirely in control of where the blush goes.  It may take a little while to get used to for people who are used to applying powder blush with a brush, but because of the color payoff and the more natural, less "makeup-y" look, I think it's definitely worth it.

The blush melts easily into your skin like a cream, providing a nice wash of color that looks natural instead of just sitting on top of your skin.  The way it applies reminds me a lot of the Tarte Cheek Stains, but this is obviously a much more frugal option.  I think it looks just as good as my Tarte Cheek Stain in Flawless!  It also appears to last just as long as a stain.  I wore it all day to meetings, a physically demanding rehearsal, and then a night out, and it kept me looking fresh-faced the entire time.

The Dream Bouncy Blush does go on very sheer, but the color is buildable for a more dramatic look if you so choose.  To the left is a swatch on the back of my hand (taken in yellow lighting).  The bottom left side of the swatch is what it looks like after two layers are applied, and the upper right side is just one layer.

This blush also comes in a wide range of colors suitable for many different skin tones.  There are light pinks for the fair skinned, peaches for those with yellow undertones, deep pinks for the darker cool-toned skin types, and even reds and browns for the deepest skin colors.  All of the colors are lovely, and the right shade will give you a beautiful, natural, youthful flush.

The Dream Bouncy blush is available at most drugstores in the U.S. (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc.), and also at some select specialty stores such as Ulta.   It retails for about $7.99, which in my opinion, is a steal when you look at the price of some comparable products.  For more information and to see all of the available shades, go to www.maybelline.com.

Maybelline is quickly becoming my favorite and my go-to when it comes to drugstore cosmetics.  After trying out the Dream Bouncy Blush, I can definitely say that it is going to become a daily part of my makeup routine.  I will, without a doubt, be purchasing this again!

Have you tried the Dream Bouncy Blush?  Which shade looks best on you?  Let me know in the comments!

1 comment: