Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: Maybelline Eye Studio® Lasting Drama™ Gel Eyeliner




OVERALL RATING:  9.5/10

PROS: Glides on smoothly, incredible pigmentation, extremely easy to apply, waterproof, doesn't smudge, very nice packaging, can be used on waterline, lasts all day.

CONS: The included brush isn't great for eyeliner; I tossed it.


After squeezing every last drop out of my Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner Pen recently, I decided that it was about time to move on to a new liner.  I wasn't sure that I wanted to get the Revlon pen again--It did its job just fine, but it usually required a few coats for a deep color and my shaky hands made application a little difficult.  I started asking around about different liquid liners to try, and even purchased a different brand (which was a TOTAL flop, review to come), but I wasn't seeing or hearing of anything that looked like it would work well for me.  I was lamenting about my search for the perfect liquid liner to my fellow cast member on the way home from rehearsal one night, and after detailing how liquid liner tends to frustrate me so much, she offered a simple piece of advice:  "You should try a gel liner."

I had only heard about gel liners before, and had never actually tried one.  They looked intimidating to me--when I was so used to pens, crayons, and brushes, how the heck was I supposed to know what to do with a little pot of liner?  However, at this point, I was running out of time to decide, so I chose to go for it.  I did a quick Google search for "drugstore gel eyeliners," found one from Maybelline, and went out and bought it.

Best. Decision. Ever.

A quick note about gel liners for those of you who are new to them like I was:  They're different than what you're used to, but that's actually a great thing.  The liner comes packaged in a tiny little pot, and you use a brush to apply it.  You just dip the tip of your brush into the pot, wipe any excess off on the sides, and use the brush to apply the liner.  The brush that is included with this product is useable, but definitely not the best option.  I would recommend the Small Angled Brush from the ELF Studio Collection, or something very similar to it.  Also, don't expect to get a ton of product.  The pots that these come in are tiny, but since you use just a teeny bit of product on each application, it should last you a long time.

Maybelline has really stepped up their product quality recently, and the Lasting Drama™ Gel Eyeliner is no exception.  The liner is creamy and amazingly smooth, and SO easy to apply.  I was worried about how I would handle a brush since my hand is so shaky with a liquid pen, but I actually found it much easier to use.  Using the brush makes it so you can hold it close to the bristles, reducing shake and allowing for a clean application.

My absolute favorite thing about this product is the pigmentation.  One sweep across the lash line delivers all the color I need, whereas I used to have to go over my liner several times before it was intense enough for my taste.  Be warned, though;  The black is VERY black.  If you, unlike me, don't like a dramatic black look, I'd recommend going for this same eyeliner in one of their other, more subtle shades, like brown.

The packaging on this product is the best I've ever seen on a Maybelline product.  I wasn't happy at all with the packaging on the Color Plush Silk Eyeshadow, but the packaging for the gel liner is enough to make up for it in my book.  The liner comes in a small glass pot with a sturdy plastic lid, which makes me feel confident that I won't have to run out and get a replacement due to a packaging malfunction.  It looks pretty classy, too;  It fits right in looks-wise with some of my high-end makeup.

I've been wearing this liner every day for about a week now, and I'm extremely impressed with its lasting power.  The liner is waterproof (confirmed after a weepy spell), and won't smudge unless you touch it (even then, it's hard to smudge).  It's even perfect for use on the waterline.  This is the only liner I have ever used that stayed on my waterline ALL DAY.  I wake up, put it on, go to classes, take a nap, go to rehearsal, come home late at night, and after all that, it is still exactly where I put it when I did my makeup in the morning.


Needless to say, I've been converted.  I don't know if I'll ever go back to liquid liner now that I've found gel!  I wouldn't worry about going out and buying some of the other (very) expensive gel liners out there.  I can't think of anything that this liner doesn't do that those could!  The only reason this product didn't get a 10/10 is because of the silly little brush that could be redesigned to be much more efficient.  The liner itself is definitely a 10!

Maybelline Eye Studio® Lasting Drama™ Gel Eyeliner is available at most drugstores in the U.S. (Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, etc.), and retails for about $7.  The liner comes in Blackest Black, Brown, Eggplant (medium purple), and Charcoal (medium gray).  For more information, visit www.maybelline.com.

Bravo, Maybelline!  I will be buying the Eye Studio® Lasting Drama™ Gel Eyeliner from here on out.

2 comments:

  1. I also bought this n Love IT... and like you my shaky hands actually could manage to apply this without a mistake. I like everything about it until that stupid lil brush went missing, I still have the gel liner pot and its because of this Gel Eyeliner I have the confidence to use other eyeliners now. But somehow I have yet been as happy with these other pen/liquid eyeliners I have sinced purchased so I need to just go ahead and get myself the small angled brush by ELF that u recommend (WHERE CAN I GET THAT)?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're having a good experience with this product like I did! :) You can get the ELF Angled Eyeliner Brush online at www.eyeslipsface.com, or at Target stores. Hope that helps!

      Delete