Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review/Video: Philips Satin Perfect Epilator

OVERALL RATING:  9/10

PROS: Removes hair very well, leaves skin smooth for weeks, comes with massaging and hair-lifting attachments, soothes skin while it works, sturdy, can be used all over the body, portable

CONS:  Stings a bit, can be messy since it just pulls out a bunch of hair and doesn't store it anywhere.


When I found out that I'd be getting this epilator for free through Bzzagent.com, I actually squealed out loud.  It was an excellent coincidence;  I had been considering buying an epilator literally the day before, but faltered because of the price.  This BzzCampaign happened at exactly the right time!


The reason I had been considering an epilator in the first place is that I was sick of the stubble that comes from shaving, and hated having to do it every other day in the tiny, locker-sized shower my dorm provides.  I wanted an option that would last longer, be easier to do, and would give great results.  Add to that the fact that I was in a play that required me to be onstage in my underwear in front of a large crowd, and I was in need of a solution.  The Philips Satin Perfect epilator answered my prayers!

First, let's talk about the epilator itself.  This bad boy has textured ceramic disks that pull the hair out from the root, and is made of a very sturdy material that makes it feel safe to use.  It has two speed options, and comes with several different attachments that massage the skin and lift the hair to make the whole process easier.  It also comes with a head for shaving and trimming, which turns it into an electric razor instantly.  The epilator is also packaged with a pair of nifty little lighted tweezers that I really like.  It also comes with a pouch for carrying the device and its accessories, making it entirely portable.

The epilator removes quite a bit of hair in just one stroke, so even though it stings, it's only for a second and you won't have to go over the same area twice.  It feels very similar to waxing, but without all of the goop!  The fact that the epilator vibrates a bit helps to soothe the skin, and the massaging attachments make it so that sting goes away very quickly.  Just like waxing, there will be a little bit of redness afterwards, but this will disappear after an hour or so.  The thing that I like about this so much more than waxing is the fact that the epilator ONLY pulls at the hair, while wax can stick to the skin and pull and irritate it along with the hair.

The epilator can be used virtually anywhere on the body, including the legs, arms, underarms, and bikini line.  Obviously some areas will be more sensitive than others, so the degree of pain will vary depending on where you use it.

Okay ladies, I know this is what many of you want to know, and what some of you may not want to know. Skip this paragraph if you don't want to get down to the nitty-gritty.  I mentioned earlier that I had to be in my underwear on stage.  Well, my hair is naturally a dark brown, and my undies for the stage were a very light, nearly sheer pink.  Combined with the stage lights... Well, I had to do something.  I have gotten extremely bad razor burn and ingrown hairs while shaving my bikini line before, so I didn't want to shave...  So, I mustered up every ounce of courage I had and used this epilator to go bare "down there."  Did it hurt?  Yes.  I'm not going to lie to you.  It was painful, much like I imagine a Brazilian would be.  Was it worth it?  Holy crap, yes.  It's been about two weeks, and I'm still smooth and hair-free with no bumps or ingrowns at all.  So yes, ladies, you CAN use it for that.  Just do it carefully, and prepare for some watery eyes.

The only beef I have with this product is that there's a lot of hair that ends up just sort of floating around when you're done.  The epilator removes the hair, and then it either gets stuck below the rotating disks or flung somewhere else.  I'd recommend using this epilator in a (empty) bathtub, so that you can control the hairy mess and rinse it away quickly.  This epilator should be used on DRY skin, so be sure you don't use it during normal bath/shower time.  The epilating head is detachable and waterproof, so you can quickly rinse out any hair that gets stuck in the discs.

Overall, I would recommend this product to all people who have some degree of pain tolerance.  It stings, but it's definitely worth it for the results that you get.  The results last up to four weeks, and the hair will actually grow back thinner.

Here's a quick video showing the epilator so you can get a better sense of what it looks and sounds like, and how to work the device!





The Philips Satin Perfect Epilator retails for about $130, and can be purchased from Amazon here.  There are less expensive Satin Perfect models, but the deluxe one is the one that I have and am providing my opinion on.

What have your epilation experiences been like?  What do you think about the Philips Satin Perfect Epilator?  Let me know in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. That's a pretty good rating for that epilator. :) Yeah, epilators sting a bit, but it's all worth it. The result is truly for a smooth, stubble-free skin in a matter of weeks. The vibration definitely helps as it soothes the skin during the process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. postingan yang bagus tentang Review/Video: Philips Satin Perfect Epilator

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I hate shaving too. It leaves too much of stubble. I love epilators because they give smooth lasting results. Wow it has got to hurt in the bikini area. I am too chicken to use this on the bikini area. Have you used this for a full brazilian or just the bikini line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this post.This product consume less electric charging. It charged in short time and easy to carry.i bought it past 2months epilator.It cuts hair from the root.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good one !!
    If you are going to buy a epilator then this can be useful. I too uses a epilator at home and its amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hair elimination has a long record for individuals and individuals like to do it with fast and efficient structure. Therefore, Epilator should be the right items for techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Epilator is the best for hair removal. Will use it for rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete